I think it’s obvious that I love pizza. From homemade pizza to pizza muffins, pizza is probably my favorite food. These began as pizza bites, then I started calling them pizza rolls. My husband called them pizza dunkers. You can call then whatever you want, because they are delicious. I’m at the point in my pregnancy where instead of having cravings, I’m going through some major food aversions. The sight of dinner in the afternoon sends me running to the bathroom and the thought of meat.. well, let’s not go there. But pizza? Pizza still hits the spot and these homemade pizza rolls turned out wonderfully.
These are made with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, but my husband suggested a supreme version that I plan to try soon. The Italian seasoning gives the dough a delicious taste and really makes the perfect homemade pizza roll.
Homemade Pizza Roll Recipe
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 T. butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 3 ¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp instant active yeast
- pepperoni, diced (I used turkey pepperoni)
- mozzarella, string cheese sliced or shredded
- Mix all ingredients (except the pepperoni & cheese) in the bread machine in the order listed in your manual. (Mine is all liquids first, dry ingredients, then yeast.)
- Set on the shortest dough cycle. (Mine is 1 hr. 30 min. but I cut it off at 1 hour.)
- Preheat the over to 350.
- Divide the dough into 20 pieces. Flatten each piece and top with some pepperoni and one piece of string cheese. Roll into a ball, making sure it is sealed well with no thin spots.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet, seam-side down, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with marinara or pasta sauce.