I noticed recently that my super quick, easy-peasy original sausage ball recipe is receiving quite a bit of traffic so I thought I would share another sausage ball recipe from scratch. I no longer buy baking mixes or Bisquick so this recipe is now my go-to and it’s as easy and delicious as the original recipe, just with a few more ingredients and some spice. These sausage balls are perfect for an easy snack or party appetizer. Kids and adults love them and they disappear quickly!
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 cups grated cheddar (1/2 pound)
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- Preheat over to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, salt, pepper, red pepper, and baking powder. Add in cheese and toss to coat. Add in sausage, melted butter, and milk, mix well with hands. Shape mixture into balls and place on a greased/ sprayed baking sheet. Bake about 25 minutes, until balls are golden brown and cooked through.
I love the added kick from the red pepper. It’s just enough to give them sausage balls a little spice, but not too much. Both Bryson and Bella love this sausage ball recipe. I like to make a batch on the weekend and then we snack on them until they’re gone which is usually by Tuesday. They don’t last long!