Fall is officially here so to celebrate I adapted our homemade play dough recipe into this wonderful apple pie scented play dough. It’s made with ingredients from the pantry and is safe for little ones to taste, but it doesn’t taste good so they’ll probably spit it out quickly. Because apples are in season, this is perfect for apple themed play. The cinnamon and nutmeg come together to give this play dough a delicious apple pie scent. The spices also add texture that reminds me of apples.
Apple Pie Scented Play Dough Ideas
- Build letters on ABC play dough mats
- Add beads & sequins for fine motor skills
- Use cookie cutters and rolling pins to make shapes
- Set up a bakery with cupcake liners, candles, etc.
- Use googly eyes and pipe-cleaners to make monsters
For the play dough mats, simply print the pages you want and laminate them. Easy, peasy!
I borrowed a bottle of Sauer’s red food color from my mom for this play dough and it is the perfect apple red. It’s sold in Walmart stores and online (check your local grocery store too) so if you can find it, I highly recommend it.
I hope you enjoy this apple pie scented play dough recipe. Click in the upper right corner to print the full recipe. I have several other ideas to try out soon and I’ll be sharing those too.
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup salt
- ½ Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. red food color
- 1 cup water
- In a large pot, combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add in vegetable oil, food color, and water, stir.
- Cook over medium heat until the dough pulls away from pot and starts to become dry.
- Turn off heat, let cool, and knead.