This Mississippi Mud Cake is out of this world delicious. As soon as I spotted in the new Southern Living Classic Southern Desserts cookbook, I knew we had to try it. My mama brought over some pecans just so we could make it ASAP. Then Justin & I teamed up. Well, I mostly read the instructions and he did all of the cooking since I can’t stand for more than a few minutes. Yes, I do know he’s a good, good man! 😉
Here’s the thing though- Justin doesn’t like chocolate cake. Crazy, I know, but true. Something funny happened when he pulled the Mississippi Mud Cake out of the oven, assembled, and took a bite- he loved it. He even called it amazing and one of the best things ever, then he proceeded to tell me not to make it too often, because that wouldn’t be good for his figure. (haha) It has received two thumbs up from all of our taste-testers.
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter
- 1 (4-oz.) semisweet chocolate baking bar, chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 (10.5-oz.) bag miniature marshmallows
- ½ cup butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 (16-oz) package powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat over to 350 degrees. Places pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant.
- Microwave 1 cup butter and chocolate bar in a large microwave-safe glass bowl at HIGH 1 minute, stirring at 30-second intervals.** Whisk sugar and next 5 ingredients into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into greased 15- x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove from over, and sprinkle evenly with miniature marshmallows; bake 8 to 10 more minutes or until golden brown. Drizzle warm cake with Chocolate Frosting, and sprinkle evenly with toasted pecans.
You’ll find this recipe and over 200 more of Southern Living magazine’s highest-rated dessert recipes in the Classic Southern Desserts cookbook. This cookbook features full-color photos, step-by-step technique photos that walk you through the recipes, and tip boxes that offer expert advice from Test Kitchen Professionals. Anything dessert related- it’s in this book with delicious details- cakes, cookies, pies, pudding, cobblers, ice cream, and more!
The ultimate treasury of best-ever recipes, foolproof baking advice,
step-by-step techniques, and gorgeous visuals to turn
even the kitchen novice into the best baker in town.
I received a cookbook for my review. All thoughts and opinions remain my own, as always.