These homemade corn dog muffins are perfect for a quick lunch. Kids love them and they are freezer friendly too. I make them with a sweet cornbread recipe from AllRecipes. If you have a favorite cornbread recipe, you can easily adapt this recipe to use with it.
After seeing these on my weekly menu plan, several of you asked about them. Corn dog muffins? Yep! I’ve been on a bit of a freezer cooking kick lately. It wasn’t planned, but I’ve found myself cooking up batches of muffins, doubling lasagna, etc. and our freezer is being stocked with delicious foods for easy meals.
Corn Dog Muffins
-Make 20 muffins
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup buttermilk*
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 hot dogs, sliced
*We never keep buttermilk on hand. Instead, take one cup of milk and add one tablespoon of white vinegar. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will react and thicken up. It works just as well!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare your cupcake pan with liners or non-stick spray. I love these silicone baking cups!
- Slice hot dogs into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan. Remove from heat, stir in sugar. Add eggs and whisk until combined. Add baking soda to buttermilk then pour into butter mixture. Stir in cornmeal, flour, and salt until mix is mostly smooth and well combined.
- Fill cups about 2/3 full with cornbread batter.
- Add 4 – 5 pieces of hot dog per cup, pushing down and making sure they are covered.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
To freeze, let the corn dog muffins cool completely then stick in a freezer bag. When you are ready to eat, pop them in the oven at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes.
These are so tasty. I think I may like them more than the kids. Let me know if you give them a try!
My kids will love these! Thanks for the recipe!
love this idea!!!!
These look super easy to make! I’m going to have to make these soon!
Yum! These look so good. I bet my kids would love them.
[…] June 19, 2012 By Whitney Leave a Comment I seem to be on a “muffin” kick with the corn dog muffins and now these pepperoni & cheese pizza muffins. You won’t believe how easy these are to […]
SUPER DELICIOUS; Fabulous Recipe!!!