While browsing Pinterest, I came across these cute soap crayons and decided to give them a try. The “recipe” calls for items that you probably already have on hand and the process is extremely simple.
- a bar of white soap
- food colors
- cookie cutters, candy molds, or something similar
- Grate your bar of soap. I cut open a Johnson’s Buddies soap and used it. I love the way they smell! I used my kitchen grater and it worked well. You need approximately one cup of grated soap.
- Divide your grated soap into bowls. One bowl for each color you want. I used about 1/4 cup in each bowl and made 4 colors.
- Add a bit of hot water to each bowl- a little less than a tablespoon per bowl. Use a spoon or fork to mash it all together until you reach a good consistency and all of the pieces are incorporated.
- Add a few drops of food colors, mixing until you reach your desired color.
- Press soap mixture into cookie cutters or molds and freeze.
I used my Wilton cookie cutter set and lined a baking pan with waxed paper for easy clean up. You’ll want to freeze them for at least a few hours or overnight. These are great for kids and they’d make cute stocking stuffers or party favors!
I originally saw this idea at Instructables.