I have wanted to try my hand at homemade muffins for a while. After browsing through recipes, I found this one on allrecipes, my go to source for great recipes. With over 3,000 reviews and 4.5 stars, I knew it had to be a winner.
Original recipe yield 8 large muffins or 12 regular muffins
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
- To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.
I made a few small changes. Instead of using 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, I used 3/4 all purpose and 3/4 whole wheat flour. I also cut the sugar down to 1/2 cup, instead of the 3/4 cup the original recipe called for. One other thing, if you only make one batch, cut the crumb topping in half or you will have a ton to throw out. I made one dozen blueberry and one dozen strawberry and both were delicious. You can also put the leftover muffins in the freezer. These freeze very well, just pop them in the microwave for about 30 seconds.